Galaxy is a leading supplier of custom and stock for communications applications. Galaxy can supply various types of communication cable, both stock and custom, in various AWG sizes, voltage ratings, compounds, shielding constructions, and conductor counts. Galaxy can also recommend the correct communication cable for specific applications.
What is Communications Cable?
Communications cable is essentially a cable used to transmit information by use of currents of various frequencies. Communication cable is different from power cables in that power cables are designed for high voltages and high currents; communication cables are designed for low voltage and low currents. Communication cables are typically used for data transmission, electronic circuits, Ethernet connections and networking.
There are many and varied applications for communications cable. These include:
- Data transmission
Galaxy Differentiators / Advantages for Communications Cable
The options for constructions of communication cables are almost endless. It is critical to understand the application of the end use, and which safety certifications need to be met. Galaxy will help navigate the possibilities and provide the cable to match the application. Whether 50 feet or 50,000 feet is required, Galaxy can meet the demands.
Galaxy offers communications cable with the following characteristics:
- Twisted shielded conductors
- Plenum rated
- Riser rated
Communications cable from Galaxy is available with the following materials:
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Polyurethane (PUR)
- Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE)
- Perfluoroalkoxy (PFA)
- Fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP)
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)
Communications Cable Technical Specifications
Galaxy offers communications cable in the following ranges of technical specifications:
- Gauge: 12AWG – 30AWG
- Voltage: 30V – 600V
- Temperature: -75°C/-103°F to +250°C/+482°F
There are various terms used in the wire and cable industry related to this type of cable. They include:
- Plenum rated: Refers to cables that can be used in plenum spaces. A plenum space is one where air circulation is prevalent. Plenum cables are jacketed with a fire retardant jacketing material. Typically this would be either a low smoke version of PVC or Fluorinated Ethylene Polymer, FEP.
- Riser rated: Refers to cables that are to be run between floors in non-plenum areas. The fire requirements are not as strict for riser rated cable.
- CAT5, CAT5E, or CAT6 cable: CAT or Category cables are a cable that consists of twisted pairs for carrying signals and data. Often referred to as Ethernet cables, these cables are typically seen to be use in computer networking. The primary difference between the three category cables (CAT 5, 5E, 6) is that CAT5 can only handle 10/100 Mbps speeds, CAT5E can handle 1,000 Mbps speeds while CAT6 handle up to 10 gigabit speeds. CAT6 is built with an internal separator that isolates each twisted pair.
Contact Galaxy Wire & Cable for Communications Cable
Contact Galaxyfor further assistance with communications cables.
Tefzel® is a registered trademarks of E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company.